“In a world where social media is more powerful than the word of mouth…this platform has outdone itself…” – Stanley Waruingi.
Part of a review on Missing Child Kenya‘s (MCK) Facebook page was that you never know the pain of losing a child until you become a parent. Thinking through this, I explored the other reviews and marveled at what I saw. MCK is a community led portal that helps boost search efforts, for missing children aged between 0 to 18 years, by sharing photo posters and alerts to a broad audience and in the fastest time possible. They do this because when a child goes missing, every second counts!
MCK receives reports and offers their services to the following groups of people:
• Families and law enforcement agencies reporting a missing child and seeking assistance in their search.
• People reporting the sighting of a missing child.
• Professionals seeking resources to assist in missing child cases.
• Families needing reunification assistance once their child is found.
These information is reported mainly through the MCK website and toll free number. The toll free number is 0800 22 33 44 while their website is missingchild.co.ke . One is able to report a missing child’s case by calling the number free of charge as a toll-free phone number is one which you can dial without having to pay for the call. Other than helping and responding to the needs of lost and missing children, MCK links found children with services for their short/ long-term care and rehabilitation.
Upon receiving your call and case information on the missing, lost and found/ displaced child, the MCK team provides FREE resources for the search of the missing child in the following ways:
• Creating a personalized and suitable missing child poster for your child.
• Posting and distribution of your child’s photo/poster on the Missing Child Kenya platforms and networks.
• Helping you work with your community, law enforcement (police) and the media (mainstream and online social media) to share information about your missing child.
• Documentation of institutionalized lost and found children for record to be used in trace & reunification with their families.
• Linkage / referral to agencies that offer psycho-social support for families e.g. counselling.
All the services mentioned above are offered free of charge meaning MCK shoulders these costs. This therefore means that our support goes a long way in ensuring MCK’s smooth operation. One of the major expenses is the free toll number which helps support the functionality of case management. It does this by easing communication, coordination, mobilization, response and follow up of identified and reported cases of missing/lost and found children.
You can support MCK’s activities by taking part in the International Missing Children’s Day, every May 25th, as they celebrate those recovered and remember the thousands still missing. You can also support by sending a donation to Make A Statement Campaign By MCK through PAY BILL: 891300 ACCOUNT NO: 13138. By clicking on this link you can also donate through PayPal, Visa and more online and mobile payment options. Lets join hands and ensure that there is no rest until we #BringThemHome and #NoChildStandsAlone .
To start your own fundraiser, click on this link or dial *483*57# .
M-Changa is a Kenyan online and mobile fundraising platform that was launched in 2012 to make fundraising more convenient, more efficient and more secure than the traditional harambee. To date, over 30,000 fundraisers have raised millions of dollars from over 500,000 contributors.
Leave a comment